My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 10 seconds. If not, visit http://joeandtheginger.wordpress.com and update your bookmarks.
If you're looking for a specific post, try using the search bar on the new blog.

See you there!

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Bleeeeeuurrghhnn! (Bagpipe Noise)

There is one weekend during the summer that I approach with as much anticipation as Christmas. It is filled with the blaring drone of bagpipes and the alarming flapping of kilts in the breeze. There is homemade root beer, there are delicious fish and chips made by the most awesome Scottish couple ever ("And haeow many would ya like, darlin'?") (Scottish accents are hard to type). And, most importantly, there are the Wicked Tinkers.

It is Thanksgiving Point's Scottish Festival. And it is amazing.

Perhaps you do not know that I am a Scotophile. I love Scotland. I want to go there. I want to live there. I love the castles and the moors, the overcast skies and the green, green land. I love the accent and the redheads (and the non-redheads too!). I love the cottages and the COWS, oh the cows! The cutest cows on this planet! Look up highland cows. They'll be your new favorite animal. I love the food! Ok, that's kind of a joke. Haggis tastes like hamburger, if your hamburger has gritty pieces of animal organs in it. It's really not bad. But it's really not good either. And I don't know of other Scottish food, to be honest, (pretty sure the English have a solid claim to fish and chips) so I can't give a fair review. I love bagpipe music and the silly old games (caber tossing, for example) and the myths and history. You get it, I think. I love Scotland.

So you'll understand why I love this festival which by most standards might be considered dull and repetitive, as it's very similar from year to year. It doesn't matter. I love it every. single. time.

If you are unfamiliar with the festival, its main attractions are these:
Strength and agility athletic tests for the menfolk, of course. I almost never get the chance to watch these for some reason :(
Booths for many clans where you can learn about their history and find out if you are a descendant.
Booths and booths of stuff to buy! Jewelry, kilts, knives and swords, and ever so much more.
Bagpipe competitions by groups from around Utah (maybe even further? Have not investigated).
Stage performances of Irish dances, Celtic inspired bands and THE WICKED TINKERS
A pavilion full of foods to eat. Fish and chips, turkey legs, non-cultural food and, naturally, haggis. Yum!
There are also the opening ceremonies, which involve bagpipes and marching clans introducing themselves and their motto. There are also closing ceremonies which I've never witnessed but I bet they're similar.

This year Joe and I took the beasties and had a good time parading about while people commented about how huge Magnus is. We started with the opening ceremonies.

A marching clan

We met up with my cousin Kelsey, her husby Harrison, and their
beasts. Pilot is an Irish Wolfhound, so applicable!

Magnus enjoying a spot of shade

Clan MacGregor! Represent!
 After that was over we spent a while walking around the booths and enjoying the general ambiance.

Magnus was a big hit at the festival. He loved it.
Had to take a picture of the cute little fairy!
And I bought a ring from these guys. Just one of the many awesome booths with stuff for sale crammed on every surface. It's hectic and crowded and I love it. I always wonder how much of their stuff gets pocketed though. Hmm.

We had a delicious lunch of fish and chips, as is tradition. Sadly I did not get to see/talk to the awesome Scottish woman because I had dog duty, but Joe said she was there and that he was called "darlin'," so that'll do for me.

After lunch we had but minutes to get to the Wicked Tinkers show. They say that they play "tribal Scottish music" which is really the best way I can think of to describe it. Bagpipe, drums, and a didgeridoo. It's wonderful.
The blond man on the right is my fayvorit. His hair blows in the breeze. And as
Joe found out last year during a very windy Scottish fest, so does his kilt.
A sampling:


New drummer. They sometimes walk through the crowds
as they play and it's awesome.


The Wicked Tinkers!
And then Joe made my day by taking a picture of me with them! And I'm even standing next to Luxurious Blond-haired Man! (I should really figure out his name.)


It was a successful year of Scottish festivaling. If you are also a lover of all things Scottish, I highly recommend it. It's usually in the first week or two of June. There's also a Payson one that hasn't happened yet. Count me in! Cue music:
"I just can't get enough! I just can't get enough!"

4 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME GO WITH YOU TO THE PAYSON ONE!!! When is it? I did not even know this existed and now I want to be obsessed with you!!! My heart is with Ireland, but they are pretty much the same thing...so...yes. ;) Scotland it is!! :D haha. Please let me know when it is so I can go too!! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha dang it, I was going to tell you about it too and then just thought "nah, she probably knows, wouldn't want to bug her!" Next time I'll just not be shy haha! It's called the Scottish festival but it's Ireland and Scotland...stuff...so you'd probably love it! (I love Ireland too!) And yes please come with me to the Payson one! I would love that!! It's July 12-13 http://www.paysonscottishfestival.org/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could come too. I'll have to look up what our clan is but Breckenridge is Scottich. What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could have gone too. We are of the Campbell clan. Breckenridge is very Scottish.

    ReplyDelete